Sunday, January 3, 2010

A birthday surprise


There I was, snuggling with my kids on the couch after school, when who should walk in but Grammy and Ba?!!!! In an unbelievable surprise for my birthday, they drove up from Texas to bring Greg their Lexus and spend the weekend with us. After a moment of horrified panic that my house wasn't "Mom-clean," I relaxed and enjoyed a great time with them, celebrating my and Mom's birthday, hanging out around town and looking for a second home for them in the Heber-Midway area. The amazing thing is, Grace and Em (as well as Greg, who dreaded my wrath for not telling but dreaded Dad's more!) knew Grammy and Ba were coming and didn't breathe a word! My respect for my kids' secretive powers has massively increased!



Those who know her will be shocked to read that Kath immediately went to work, helping me prepare herbs from my garden for drying ...


... and running the Dyson through her paces all over the house. If there's filth to be found, she'll eliminate it!


For Mom's birthday, we had a special dinner of white chili (one of her favorites) and regular chili (for the menfolk), plus a black-forest cake and a surprisingly tasty sugar-free chocolate cake for Ba. The kids and I picked flowers and made a floral/photo centerpiece for the meal.


Mom is always telling us, these days, that she doesn't want presents, so we try to only buy her consumable things ... like Pero and lemon curd.


Of course, she always enjoys a hug from the grandkids, probably more than almost anything else!


Blowing out the candles ... I'm not saying how many!



The next day, after throwing a snowball at Ba on the way in from church, Emma found out what it means to get your face washed with snow. Yes, that's snow under her glasses. As we always say, you mess with the bull, YOU GET THE HORNS!

1 comment:

Michelle Jensen said...

What a fun surprise!! I think that your family is the coolest. It is too bad you all don't live closer together, although it sure makes things like this special :)